SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Track Days (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Track Day checklist. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=127659)

phil24_7 15-03-09 09:50 PM

Track Day checklist.

I'm off to my first trackday and was after a list of what I need to take and what you would recommend I take.

I'm new to all this and don't wanna get there and find I need something I've forgotten or not thought about!!

Regards

plowsie 15-03-09 10:01 PM

Re: Track Day checklist.

Your bike.

Tim in Belgium 15-03-09 10:12 PM

Duck tape. Common spanners/allen keys for any problems that your bike has occasionally had in the past. Foot pump. Pressure guage. Bike. Leathers. Helmet. Gloves. Boots. Back protector. Ear plugs. Drinks. Bananas. Food. Driving licence. Tinted visor. Clear visor. Cash. Credit cards. Mobile phone. Shorts.

Depends a little if you're riding or towing/vanning the bike there, but I get the above in a back pack when I ride to a TD.

If possible taking some other clothes/warm jacket/flask/comfy chair etc if you have some form of other vehicle/support.

Also remember to have lots of fun and turn up with a fullish tank.

Enjoy.

Edit I also take spare levers but have never needed them....

skeetly 15-03-09 10:12 PM

Heh. i shall be paying close attention to this thread; my first in April..:)
Reminders to bring your bike remind me of going fishing with me dad years ago to some far flung place and realising once we got there that I had forgotten me fishing rod..............

plowsie 15-03-09 10:13 PM

If your using tyre warmers, stands help too.

Tim in Belgium 15-03-09 10:14 PM

Tyre warmers may be a little OTT for a 1st TD ;)

plowsie 15-03-09 10:17 PM

Nonetheless, useful though mate ;)

Just that I thought it was a race bike he bought so thought he may have got them in the sale of the bike. Cant remember if it is a race bike though.

Jester666 15-03-09 10:24 PM

1. Be at the track half an hour before the briefing.

2. DO NOT FORGET YOUR LICENCE. No licence, no track time.

3. Make sure you bike is in good condition. ie tyres, chain, brakes.

4. Remember your wallet and fill the tank before entering the track.

5. Listen to the briefing. They do know what they're talking about.

6. Don't try and be a hero, there's always someone better and faster than you!

7. Relax and enjoy and..............

8. In the immortal words of Sir Sid Squid "Don't Crash!"

Balky001 15-03-09 10:34 PM

all good advice above especially the driving license!.

If you are driving and not riding the bike down take some fold up chairs, sitting on the floor/bike etc isn't comfy all day. Plenty of water and some snacks/fruit/sandwiches from petrol station on way is always useful in case they are just serving up expensive rubbish at the track. V2-spong to clean visor.

Make sure you give your chain a really good lubing (pref warm chain) before you go and make sure it's not too tight, well adjusted (unless you are taking warmers/paddock stands then lube it there). Check brake pads have plenty left on them (I usually do a brake fluid change before a track day if it has not been changed for a while) and oil is at the right level. Spare visor incase you only have dark and its is wet or you only have clear ans it is sunny! Spare underpants (optional)

Jester666 15-03-09 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balky001 (Post 1823453)
...Spare underpants (optional)

:lol: and remember to wear clean one in case you ignore item 8 on my list!! :lol:

Sid Squid 15-03-09 10:59 PM

To the above I'd add:

A willingness to learn.
An understanding that if you rush around you'll learn nothing.

Zombie Jesus 16-03-09 01:54 PM

I'll add:
- change of footwear to get out of your leathers between sessions. I tend to sweat more on track so my leathers end up sticking to me towards the end of the day.
- suncream if you're in a paddock with no garages meaning you'll be outdoors all day. I've got sunburn everytime I've been to pembrey.

Sosha 16-03-09 02:17 PM

Gaffer tape, Cable ties.

Jester666 16-03-09 05:41 PM

Ahh 3 of the 4 required tools to do anything.

The other 2 are WD40 and an hammer!! :lol:

phil24_7 16-03-09 07:53 PM

Some very good suggestions. Most of which I had thought about, but a few of the more obvious ones had slipped me by.

Cheers guys, anything else?

I'm vanning it up so have plenty of space.

BanditPat 16-03-09 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester666 (Post 1824216)
Ahh 3 of the 4 required tools to do anything.

The other 2 are WD40 and an hammer!! :lol:

Im confused, are WD40 and a hammer the same thing? lol

phil24_7 16-03-09 08:01 PM

Me thinks somebody can't count! ;-)

phil24_7 16-03-09 08:01 PM

Either that or FFS - Fat Finger Syndrome! :-D

daved407 16-03-09 08:13 PM

Much of the above and in case any mishaps cable ties. Nowt worse than a break of something and not being able to carry on. Spare clutch and brake levers make good sense too in my experiance. Ditto the info on new brake fluid. Its up there at the top with tyre pressures. Once you had a few days you will end up with a box of usefull bits. I have two. One big one if Im vanning it and a smaller one if in the car or riding.

Binky 17-03-09 04:51 PM

Always wondered what would happen if a crash were to happen. Would a breakdown company come to the track to recover you if the bike was unridable??? Not from the physical track obviously, just the premesis i mean???

G 17-03-09 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binky (Post 1825424)
Always wondered what would happen if a crash were to happen. Would a breakdown company come to the track to recover you if the bike was unridable??? Not from the physical track obviously, just the premesis i mean???

They dont cover you for wrecking your bike on the track unfortunately........think cartwrim got charged an additional £105 on top of his membership.

Could be wrong though.

Not sure if its been mentioned but take a foot pump and digital tyre pressure reader.

Binky 17-03-09 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1825428)
They dont cover you for wrecking your bike on the track unfortunately........think cartwrim got charged an additional £105 on top of his membership.

Could be wrong though.

Not sure if its been mentioned but take a foot pump and digital tyre pressure reader.

Would they be a bit suspicious if you somehow managed to get it onto the public road outside the track???

Zombie Jesus 17-03-09 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binky (Post 1825430)
Would they be a bit suspicious if you somehow managed to get it onto the public road outside the track???

check your breakdown policy. I very much doubt a phone operator would know the whereabouts of racetracks if you just gave town or road numbers. Wheeling the bike to the first roundabout outside the silverstone entrance and claim you're visiting relatives would be slightly suspicious tough :---)

Binky 17-03-09 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie Jesus (Post 1825445)
check your breakdown policy. I very much doubt a phone operator would know the whereabouts of racetracks if you just gave town or road numbers. Wheeling the bike to the first roundabout outside the silverstone entrance and claim you're visiting relatives would be slightly suspicious tough :---)

Yeah, particularly if the bike is absolutely smashed. They'd have no option surely once they're at the road side???

monkey 18-03-09 02:53 AM

£20 notes come in very handy in these type of situations ;)

Don't think it's been mentioned but spare levers. It's horrible watching someone missing the action because they're running round trying to fix or find a lever. Oh and a gear linkage rod maybe too, and peg hangers. Have fun!

phil24_7 18-03-09 06:03 PM

I have none of the spares mentioned! Oh well, just have to chance it this time!!

Regards

G 18-03-09 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phil24_7 (Post 1826844)
I have none of the spares mentioned! Oh well, just have to chance it this time!!

Regards

Take your time, dont get carried away and you wont need any of the spares.

Got your memory stick in the post this morning....will bring it with me:cool:

phil24_7 18-03-09 07:18 PM

Cheers Graeme.

Kate Moss 19-03-09 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sosha (Post 1824057)
Gaffer tape, Cable ties.

Ooooh sounds like fun, but I assume they are for the bike. :(

Sosha 19-03-09 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Moss (Post 1828120)

Hopefully not.....

:eek:

Wait that sounds worse....

Jackhammer 20-03-09 12:33 PM

If ur vanning it up and have space - a chair !!! :-) lots of sitting around time - when i went to a few TDs last year - i really wanted to have a good sit down - and not on the floor LOL - failing that - seems like most of the other suggestions are sensible - take a track pump too if u have one - cant remember if anyone mentioned it already - have fun - stay safe ;-)

Jackhammer 20-03-09 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Moss (Post 1828120)

LOL - best post i've seen in a while :smt038

carty 20-03-09 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G (Post 1825428)

Yep, AA charged me £105 to come and collect but that was only cos I didn't have accident recovery on my policy - if I had got accident recovery then recovery from the track would have been no problem - they'll fetch you from anywhere.

However, they may have forgotten to actually ever charge me for it :cool:

Anyone mentioned a couple of jerry cans of fuel? If you're vanning it you may as well, saves going out at lunch if you're a bit low. :riding:

I'll do some timing for peeps too and time someone in the fast group so you can compare if anyone's interested?

Sosha 20-03-09 02:40 PM

Booked into the Ravern...

(Gulp)

Kate Moss 20-03-09 02:42 PM

We looked at that one! Keep a baseball bat handy! Holiday Inn is cheap, thats where we are! Safety in numbers n all that!

_Stretchie_ 20-03-09 02:45 PM

You
Bike
Wallet
Licence
Gaffer tape
Cable ties

plowsie 20-03-09 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Moss (Post 1829428)
We looked at that one! Keep a baseball bat handy! Holiday Inn is cheap, thats where we are! Safety in numbers n all that!

Its Corby, that is all. Phil has my instructions for the van Kate.

And before you ask, no, you cannot be locked in it overnight with the gaffer tape and cable ties with him!

Sosha 20-03-09 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate Moss (Post 1829428)

Looked at the holiday inn but figured I'd be too knackered to make use of the fitness centre and being on me tod it was an extra 25quid.

No one will steal the Rat - spose I might take the keys out of it though...

Menu looks good - might give the BYOB Nightclub a miss though...

Kate Moss 20-03-09 03:02 PM

the BYOB is a must - How can you go to the Ravern and not partake!! Well you know where we are if you need to escape.

And as for being locked in the van with gaffa tape and cable ties - that hadn't even crossed my mind!!! Im sure Phil would oblige but only if he could leave me in there!

Zombie Jesus 20-03-09 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sosha (Post 1829421)
Booked into the Ravern...

(Gulp)

haha me too. I'll be bringing a lock and chain so if you see my bike park next to it, it'll have a blue cover with a silver stripe down the centre.