SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   It's official. Winter has gone! (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229453)

Red ones 17-04-18 07:19 AM

It's official. Winter has gone!

Better have anyway. Thermal liners from my jacket and trousers are out and washed.

SV650rules 17-04-18 07:32 AM

Re: It's official. Winter has gone!

Just taken winter tyres off my Civic and put shiny alloys with summer tyres back on. I have Avon ZV7 tyres and in six months they have been in garage they have lost absolutely no pressure - which is impressive.

Have been out on SV a couple of times this year, well wrapped up - maybe I can dispense with a layer or two next ride.

Sir Trev 17-04-18 08:26 AM

Might just leave my liner in for another month. Can always pop it in the topbox if I get too warm when out n about.

Red ones 18-04-18 09:40 AM

[emoji16]

I was onto something. May even consider opening the vents!!!

Talking Heads 18-04-18 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3084593)
I have Avon ZV7 tyres and in six months they have been in garage they have lost absolutely no pressure - which is impressive.

I reckon a big contributor to pressure loss is checking the pressures.
Every time the valve gets opened and closed air escapes and you introduce the chance of debris getting stuck in the valve seal.
From my experience with modern tubeless tyres zero loss in six months doesn't surprise me at all, it is exactly what I would expect based on my own pressure checking regime...

DarrenSV650S 18-04-18 12:55 PM

An interesting thing when I checked my tyres after winter storage this year was that when I took off one of the valves it hissed and let out pressure. I thought the valve was knackered but the tyre pressure was the same as last year. So there must have been built up pressure in the valve cap, probably from the bike being stored in a hot conservatory. This was a plastic normal valve. The metal valve on the other wheel didn't do the same

Sir Trev 18-04-18 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talking Heads (Post 3084617)
I reckon a big contributor to pressure loss is checking the pressures.
Every time the valve gets opened and closed air escapes and you introduce the chance of debris getting stuck in the valve seal.
From my experience with modern tubeless tyres zero loss in six months doesn't surprise me at all, it is exactly what I would expect based on my own pressure checking regime...

I have found the same but as it's so difficult to tell with modern stiff sidewall tyres when the pressure is half what it should be you still have to check very regularly just to be sure.

My car has a pressure monitoring system (crude one that compares wheel speeds) but it correctly flagged up a puncture that I would never have noticed by eye.

SV650rules 20-04-18 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3084623)
My car has a pressure monitoring system (crude one that compares wheel speeds) but it correctly flagged up a puncture that I would never have noticed by eye.

If you compare the 'crude' ABS pulse system with the one using pressure monitors on each wheel the ABS one does not cost you anything but if you change wheels every year for winter tyres like we do and have to have wheels fitted with sensors it can get expensive, also spare wheel can be a problem if not fitted with a sensor. The ABS one on our Honda cars is pretty accurate really, when I had a slow punture in a rear tyre it flagged up a puncture after tyre had lost 4psi, also triggered when pressure in front tyre was 3 psi too much, and also knows when you have had new tyres fitted. I read on forums about peoples gripes with pressure monitors and am glad that I have ABS system. Honda went to pressure sensors for only one year (2015) and complaints from buyers meant they went back to ABS based system following year.

maviczap 21-04-18 03:14 PM

It is officially here, seen the first housemartin today

Heorot 21-04-18 11:57 PM

My partner in Turkey bought a 1.6 Astra. It constantly warns of low pressure at one of the wheels but when she tries to put air in, it registers full pressure. She then has to check the other 3 wheels because one of them is low. The warning light on the dash nearly always shows the wrong wheel. Nearly always.