SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Which Sprocket Size? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=87604)

New Leaf 18-04-07 11:25 AM

Which Sprocket Size?

Right then, i reckon its time to change my sprockets (or at least ask spanner man to do it when i go see him for a service). Can any of u nice people hwlp me choose what size?

I'm not bothered about loosing top end speed ( I get scared once i get past 110) :oops:

I would like a bit more acceleration though - especially at motorways speeds. The only time i really feel i could use a bit more accelleration is when pulling from 80-90mph to overtake on the motorway (in germany ofcourse).

So will a tooth down on the frount and one up at the rear help with this? Or what else do u suggest - other than getting a bigger bike?

New Leaf 18-04-07 11:31 AM

Re: Which Sprocket Size?

oops - wrong section - how do i move this to tweaking and tuning? or do i have to wait for an angry mod to do it?

also i forgot to mention i have a naked curvey with the standard naked sprockets still on.

Baph 18-04-07 11:37 AM

Personally, I went down the route of leaving the front well alone, and changing the rear, up 2 teeth. I'm told this is the same effect as going down one tooth on the front.

What effect did it have? Well, from the line, the bike has more get up & go. It's easier to lift the front by accident. I once filtered to the front of a queue at lights (naughty, I know). The WVM didn't like this, so tried to beat me off the line. Squeeze the throttle a little harder as soon as I knew what was happening, up comes the front. Having said that, it's not that much of a problem.

Accelerating out of layby's into 70mph zones with traffic doing 80+, I frequently lift the front end. Kind of nice doing it too, since I'm now expecting it.

Rolling on at speed has a difference, but it's not huge. You'll find you run at slightly higer revs as well. Before the change, 5k RPM was 70mph. Now it's 5,500rpm.

scorpion 18-04-07 01:31 PM

Aha I was about to post a similar thread.

I'm changing my chain and sprockets soon. Mostly I do town riding so should I up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket to have a bit more fun?

Will it lower my fuel efficientcy?

Baph 18-04-07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion (Post 1164042)
Will it lower my fuel efficientcy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baph (Post 1163874)
Rolling on at speed has a difference, but it's not huge. You'll find you run at slightly higer revs as well. Before the change, 5k RPM was 70mph. Now it's 5,500rpm.

Reading between the lines of what I wrote, yes. I don't find it's that big a deal though.

I've also just leaned out the mix a little, by removing the snorkel & fitting a baffle-less can. Maybe I've evened out back to stock fuel usage?