SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Faulty ceiling light query (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=229196)

Littlepeahead 24-12-17 10:44 PM

Faulty ceiling light query

My living room ceiling light has packed up. I could buy a new one but I really like the design of this one.

For a couple of weeks upon switching it on it would buzz and flicker and then come on. Then if you turned it off then straight back on it wouldn't work but after 5 mins or more it would.

Now it won't come on at all although the bulbs, which are LEDs, glow then go off so power must be getting to them a little.

I've checked there are no loose or faulty wires in the ceiling and at the switches.

All the bulbs are fine as I replaced any blown ones.

Any advice from the sparky orgers is much appreciated. Candles are getting a bit boring!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a9e3011375.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bibio 25-12-17 06:55 AM

Re: Faulty ceiling light query

its fooked. although LED's last a long long time the drivers and power supplies give up due to heat (fries the components).

buy an new one.

SV650rules 25-12-17 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3080980)
its fooked. although LED's last a long long time the drivers and power supplies give up due to heat (fries the components).

buy an new one.

+1

LED's normally have a constant current driver, they work on the amount of current flowing through them not the voltage (that is why when you buy LED bulbs for your bike or car they normally have a voltage range of 9 to 30 volts DC or similar). Heat will fry them, it is normally any electrolytic capacitor in the power supply that fails.... (they always do after a certain lifespan).

Heorot 25-12-17 09:27 AM

LED's or mini halogens? I had the same problem with a mini halogen light. I just needed to replace a part hidden in the light. It was a 12volt system running off mains electricity. Worth a look anyway.

SV650rules 25-12-17 10:32 AM

Some LED's don't like dimmer switches - they have to be labelled 'dimmable' - normally the dimmer switch goes bang, but sometimes the LED power supply module.

Littlepeahead 25-12-17 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SV650rules (Post 3080989)
Some LED's don't like dimmer switches - they have to be labelled 'dimmable' - normally the dimmer switch goes bang, but sometimes the LED power supply module.

It's not on a dimmer.

Heorot 25-12-17 03:33 PM

Open the base unit and you will probably find a rectangular unit between the mains input and the lights. If so, that is likely to be the cause of the failure. Cheap to replace.

Littlepeahead 25-12-17 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heorot (Post 3081005)
Open the base unit and you will probably find a rectangular unit between the mains input and the lights. If so, that is likely to be the cause of the failure. Cheap to replace.

I'll give that a go, thank you.

Bibio 25-12-17 07:04 PM

something else to check is the wiring at the wall switch and the light connections. make sure they are tight.

SV650rules 25-12-17 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3081012)
something else to check is the wiring at the wall switch and the light connections. make sure they are tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepeahead (Post 3080975)
I've checked there are no loose or faulty wires in the ceiling and at the switches.
All the bulbs are fine as I replaced any blown ones.

LPH always one step ahead LOL