SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Scam or Hoax call claiming to be from Bennetts Insurance (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=226935)

aesmith 30-05-17 05:37 PM

Scam or Hoax call claiming to be from Bennetts Insurance

Hi,

Posting this as a warning in case others get the same.

I received a call today which I am pretty sure is a scam or hoax. The caller claimed to be from Bennetts and the story he gave was that a technical error meant that my policy had not properly updated the MIB meaning that my bikes would show as uninsured on ANPR or Police checks, and with the DVLA. He claimed that the only solution was to cancel the existing policy and create a new one on the same terms. Although he claimed I would not be "financially disadvantaged" it sounds as though what he was after was for me to pay him a new 12 month premium, then expect a part refund from Bennetts for the unexpired term. When I suggested he should put all this in writing he said that wasn't possible. While on the phone I checked AskMIB online and both registrations showed as covered, when I told the caller he said that was odd as my policy was definitely listed as one affected, however if they showed as covered then no action was needed.

Reasons for thinking this was attempted fraud (1) caller was from a Coventry number 024 7771 9024 (2) refusal to put things in writing (3) the bikes were shown as covered in any case and (4) the whole story sounds fishy.

Assuming it is a scam then clearly there has been some serious leakage of customer information, the caller knew I had a multi bike policy with yourselves, knew my phone number and knew the level of cover on the policy and the underwriter.

Edit - I don't completely rule out it being genuine, I wouldn't want to underestimate the incompetence of the insurance industry and I've had some crackers from Bennetts in the past.

Tony S

Bibio 30-05-17 05:48 PM

Re: Scam or Hoax call claiming to be from Bennetts Insurance

simple, phone bennets direct and ask.

insurance companies are notorious for selling your details.. yes even if you opt out of their marketing. they know you cant find out.

PyroUK 30-05-17 06:29 PM

On a similar note be wary of ghost brokers. They will call and offer insurance through them and you will get a fake certificate after paying them but you're stuffed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

aesmith 30-05-17 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 3070219)
simple, phone bennets direct and ask.

I reported it in writing, would like to see what their response will be.

aesmith 17-06-17 02:14 PM

So it's another example of Bennetts' quite amazing incompetence. Their response to my email was that it was a genuine call, but that my policy was in fact unaffected since the reg showed up OK on askmid.

However yesterday they called again leaving a message to almost the same effect. I spoke to them this morning, calling their published number and not the one left by the suspect caller.

Turns out the issue is between Bennetts and the underwriter, not between underwriter and MIB. So what the previous guy said about risk of being pulled over was clearly bollox, and equally checking the reg on askmid didn't say whether the policy was or was not affected. Pretty vague about what the problem was, something about how they used to pass details on a spreadsheet but that doesn't work any more.

So apparently the only solution is to create a new policy, supposed to be no cost involved and supposed to be for the same cover terms and the same period. The guy gave me the new policy number.

New documents arrived by email, cover all looks the same but the term is from 17th June for 12 months (instead of from March). The documents also quote a premium so I'm going to seriously flip if they've charged that to my card.

Blapper 17-06-17 04:31 PM

I'm with them so you've got me worried now!

What is this askmib thing?

EDIT Ok, found it and I'm OK. Phew! Wife is old bill....

aesmith 17-06-17 04:36 PM

Public web site where you can punch in your registration and see whether it comes up as insured .. https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Just a Yes/No answer for us, apparently the Police see more like whether there's commuting and/or business use covered.

Blapper 17-06-17 05:04 PM

cool, thanks.

PyroUK 17-06-17 05:28 PM

Askmid is purely to check you're vehicle is covered. The police can see if it's insured, the gender of the policyholder, business use all sorts

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Heorot 18-06-17 03:37 PM

The full MIB access is tightly controlled. When I was dealing with motor insurance claims, I had to get all sorts of authorisations before I was allocated an MIB logon and password. basically, I had to get our underwriter to personally approve me via several layers of my bosses.