SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Hydraulic clutch conversion? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=63498)

kawadave 09-09-05 03:29 PM

Hydraulic clutch conversion?

Bought my wife a Candy Grand Blue 01 650s as an incentive to pass her direct access. She failed only scoring 4 points but dabbed on the U turn!

To use instructors bike GS500 again would mean a wait till end of November so she is going to retake it on the SV.
In oder to make this easier and I think she will prefer it in the long term I have ordered an ABM streetfighter handlebar conversion.

However when I rode the bike I couldn't fail to notice how heavy the clutch is. I have a ZX7R and XJR1300 to compare it with.

My question is what can be done to lighten the action? Is a hydraulic conversion available and if so has anybody tried them?

trick 09-09-05 03:33 PM

not entirely sure how its done, but you can adjust the position of the clutch lever at rest so its not so far out, taht makes it a lot easier to pull in if you lady only has little hands (like most do). try that firt before paying out for fancy hydrolics and stuff. also, try lubing your cables and oiling the lever assembly, like they say, every little helps and in this case, it might all add up to an easy to use clutch.

hope that helped a bit

TRICK

chazzyb 09-09-05 03:43 PM

If the clutch is heavy, there's something wrong. I hadn't noticed how heavy mine had become until I oiled the cable (hydraulic oiler). That made a *huge* difference.

embee 09-09-05 03:56 PM

Treat it to a new cable, they're only about £11 if I remember correctly.

The clutch is heavier on my SVS than on the Dullsville, but nothing compared to some bikes I've had of old.

TSM 09-09-05 03:59 PM

Do you know if the last owner every changed the clutch springs. I put new barnett ones in mine and it is now quite heavy.

I am looking at trying a hydro convertion. I am on TLplanet and have asked if i can borrow some kit that someone has removed from his bike. I will try to see if it is possable to get it to work on the sv.

legin 09-09-05 03:59 PM

On my wife's K4, to make it easier for her, I replaced the clutch lever clamp (the black bit) with one from a GSXR 600 and then bought a CRG span adjustable clutch lever to suit.

(CRG don't make clutch levers to fit the SV clamp).

northwind 09-09-05 09:01 PM

If you disconnect and remove the cut-out switch that prevents the bike starting with the clutch out, that lightens the action a little too.

DeanoN 09-09-05 10:45 PM

I replaced the clutch lever on my bike today and it pivots/mounted on a shoulder bolt which means you should be able to tighten the nut/bolt and the lever will move freely on the shoulder of the bolt.
I did mine up nice and tight and found that i could hardly move the lever, i slacked the nut 1/4 of a turn and the clutch was nice and free. It looks like the shoulder is 'slightly' too short in length, therefore it pinches the lever in its mounting.

kawadave 11-09-05 06:58 PM

Thank you one and all for the good advise.

dieter 30-01-06 12:18 PM

Hello,

I have the hydraulic Cluch from the TL/DL/SV 1000 on my 650.

here in my album

Greetings from Germany,

Dieter