SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   gsxr600 k4 shock fitted (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=124883)

skeetly 01-02-09 09:04 PM

gsxr600 k4 shock fitted

All is well.
Spent all afternoon riding about on it and it feels much better.
This might be because the roads were absolutely lovely dry if a bit cold though.
I do have some questions.
I copperslipped anything that looked like it might seize and put all 3 avilable adjustments to their middle setting.
I now need to get my head round sag, preload, compression, rebound etc....

xXBADGERXx 01-02-09 09:25 PM

Re: gsxr600 k4 shock fitted

I left mine as I had it mate , got my shock from Flymo and haven`t touched a thing , feels good on the back end even with a pillion :)

skeetly 01-02-09 10:22 PM

Ah yes well.
Mines a little 'bouncy'
Feels much better but 'bouncy'...
Something needs adjusting.
I mean; its got adjustment therefore it needs adjusting.
Obvious innit; stands to reason.

xXBADGERXx 01-02-09 10:29 PM

I tell ya what mate , don`t half make a difference doesn`t it , I went on my local Hoon when I fitted mine and a corner I usually take at 70 with wide eyes and a modicum of jostling was taken at a greater speed that felt like I was going slower until I looked down at the speedo and thought "Oooops" , the single best thing you can do to a Pointy in my experience :)

skeetly 07-04-09 08:41 PM

Today I threw the old SV round corners and got in all sorts of scary noob trouble on me track day.
But, as I sit here drinking a beer and thinking about it all; I realise that the suspension was lovely.
Not once could I say that it caused any problems.
So I can thoroughly recommend a gsxr600 shock and hagon progressive springs topped off with a couple of hours fiddling to get them all set up nice.
That is all.

thefallenangel 07-04-09 08:58 PM

I got the thou shock fitted and it's good for £150 you can completely re-vamp the suspension and do what suzuki should of done and grease the links.

*For £150 i got front springs too and thicker oil.

dual-power sv 08-04-09 09:14 AM

how much of s straight forward swap is the gsxr600 shock skeetly??
ino the battery box has to be chopped for the piggyback but apart from that how is the swap.

the_lone_wolf 08-04-09 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skeetly (Post 1768998)
Ah yes well.
Mines a little 'bouncy'
Feels much better but 'bouncy'...
Something needs adjusting.
I mean; its got adjustment therefore it needs adjusting.
Obvious innit; stands to reason.

start by putting it back to stock settings and setting the preload to give you close to the correct static and rider sag:

http://www.feelthetrack.com/downloads/Suspension3.pdf

set the damping to stock settings by turning the damping adjuster fully in then out by the number of clicks in the GSXR manual - make a note of what the setting is now, ie: # of clicks to screw it fully in. if stock more than a couple of clicks away from its current setting then try it as stock, if it still bounces try increasing your rebound damping by 2-3 clicks and test it again

skeetly 08-04-09 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dual-power sv (Post 1856811)
how much of s straight forward swap is the gsxr600 shock skeetly??
ino the battery box has to be chopped for the piggyback but apart from that how is the swap.

For pointy's.
The gsxr shock has an alloy u bracket at the top that connects it to a vertical mounting bolt. The bolt that goes through the eye at the top of the shock holding this bracket on is required to connect it to the sv suspension.
You can buy it seperate but try and get it with the shock you buy.
The shock swap itself is as simple as removing the old shock; 2 bolts.
Cutting the right amount out of the battery box is a little trial and error so you have to dismantle the tail piece a bit. I then put a couple of layers of 12mm ply wood in the bottom of the battery box with cutouts in them to keep the battery clear of the shock reservoir.
On the k3 the seat base doesnt hit the battery but youmight need to cut a square hole inte seat base for the later pointys

skeetly 08-04-09 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf (Post 1856844)
start by putting it back to stock settings and setting the preload to give you close to the correct static and rider sag:

http://www.feelthetrack.com/downloads/Suspension3.pdf

set the damping to stock settings by turning the damping adjuster fully in then out by the number of clicks in the GSXR manual - make a note of what the setting is now, ie: # of clicks to screw it fully in. if stock more than a couple of clicks away from its current setting then try it as stock, if it still bounces try increasing your rebound damping by 2-3 clicks and test it again

/nods.
Worth doing it was ;)