SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Knee sliders .. whats the point ? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=177669)

paddy t 22-04-12 02:47 PM

Knee sliders .. whats the point ?

Just been out for a rideout in between the raindrops today , and was following a lad on his shiny new R1 ,and as i was following him round a beautiful,big ,sweeping roundabout,i couldn t help but notice him hanging off the side of his bike ,in a vain attempt to get a few more scratches on his skull n cross bones sliders ...:scratch:
He was so happy when we got to the pub,but my question to him was , do you use the sliders to help steer and balance the bike when cornering , or is it simply to pose when you re walking round Tesco s ,when you re buying your MCN ? :confused:

Dave20046 22-04-12 02:51 PM

Re: Knee sliders .. whats the point ?

Wonder what he posted on the R1 forum about the chap riding behind him....

If someone feels comfortable riding the way they do, so what?*

*knee out ape rider bias

dizzyblonde 22-04-12 02:52 PM

OOoooo Paddy, I've been told off for my blunt POV at times.....but I reckon its because he has to show how big his pen1s is, when in Tescos myself.

What was his reply? :lol:

Stenno 22-04-12 02:59 PM

I scratch mine up on a bench grinder to save me the effort of having to get my knee down on the road :P

fizzwheel 22-04-12 03:01 PM

1. Because GP, BSB, WSB riders do it.
2. The idea behind them doing it was to measure or get a feel for the lean angle of the bike.
3. Theres an arguement that shifting weight to the inside of the bike when cornering helps turn the bike.
4. Because some people think it looks cool.
5. Its a different style of riding or another tool in the toolbox as it were.

I dont think being able to do it makes you a faster rider, I've ridden with people who are faster than me who do touch their knees down and people who dont. Look at the police and the way they ride for example.

I'm sure there's an element of willy waving behind it as well. Also I think if you are focused so much on getting your knee down, you are maybe not focused on other elements of your riding.

If you look at the quick guys at the IOM TT for example, they might be hanging off the bike, to shift their weight as I mentioned above, but they dont always touch their knees down...

Teejayexc 22-04-12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzwheel (Post 2698654)
If you look at the quick guys at the IOM TT for example, they might be hanging off the bike, to shift their weight as I mentioned above, but they dont always touch their knees down...

There's a very good reason for this.....kerbs hurt !

It's all very well on a race circuit, no sticky up bits to take your kneecaps off, and with race tyres it helps them counteract the weight against the angles of lean they can achieve.

Regards Tj, (couldn't get his knee down if he had sliders the size of orange boxes).

paddy t 22-04-12 04:49 PM

i pointed out to him any Grannie on a Honda Express can do it , by doing a u turn on a hill ,at 10 mph , and he got all humphy ..lol:)

21QUEST 22-04-12 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 2698647)
Wonder what he posted on the R1 forum about the chap riding behind him....

If someone feels comfortable riding the way they do, so what?*

*knee out ape rider bias

What he said.....cos he can/wants/just because etc etc....end off :-P

Dave, I bet you a penny, I'm a bigger ape rider than you lol.

Oh and for any rider on the road, who sees me and proceeds to automatically think "I must then be a completely sh*t rider"(I'm not a quick rider by any stretch of the imagination, by the way)....there is always the slight possibility of you ending up with egg on your face ;)

Wideboy 22-04-12 05:55 PM

everyone knows the moment you touch your knee down you automatically become awesome

Berlin 22-04-12 06:03 PM

... and the bike becomes very stable because its now a tripod......

;-)

C