SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Would you buy a Cat D writeoff? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=204089)

ClunkintheUK 30-09-13 10:11 AM

Would you buy a Cat D writeoff?

Looking to get a Triumph Tiger for 2 up general purpose and some touring. I have seen this one nearby (Easy Tiger) and looks like it could be a very good deal, but it is Cat D. So my question is would you go for a Cat D, or steer clear at all costs? I do have the money to not go Cat D.

dkid 30-09-13 10:30 AM

If the bike is straight, been repaired to a high standard and has been well looked after in general I don't think the bike itself would put me off.
What may influence my decision is the possibility it may be more difficult to sell on in the future?

chris c 30-09-13 10:38 AM

Re: Would you buy Cat D

I would not bother me at all, but would need to be a good price

ClunkintheUK 30-09-13 10:40 AM

Re: Would you buy Cat D

Its about 1000 cheaper then the next cheapest I have found. Does not have much in the way of the extras I am after, but total cost of them is not that high.

Sid Squid 30-09-13 01:55 PM

Would you buy a Cat D writeoff?

Yes. Like with any other purchase examine carefully.

ClunkintheUK 30-09-13 01:58 PM

Re: Would you buy a Cat D writeoff?

Are there any specific bits I should look out for. I am not that fussed about the cosmetic damage, few scratches and the like.

Red Herring 30-09-13 02:04 PM

How often do people buy bikes without ever knowing that once upon a time they were an insurance job. Bikes get written off so easily these days due to what is nothing more than cosmetic damage or bolt on repairs and it's simply because of the cost of original parts. My SV was a write off when I bought it, yet I rode it home! Unless you're buying something nearly new and spending silly money on it do people even bother getting background checks done? I know I don't.

DanSp 30-09-13 03:37 PM

My old curvy was a cat C as the footpeg had snapped hardly even any cosmetic damage! Ride fine for 2 yrs and got nearly full market value at time of sale too!

Sent from my iPhone

TamSV 30-09-13 04:13 PM

Yeah I'd buy one. Just check it over the same as any other bike.

A bit of fairing damage could be enough to write off a bike. OTOH I've had bikes that have obviously been down the road at some point and would have easily been an economic write off, but no insurance claim was made. I've been responsible for a couple of those myself.

With anything a few years old there's a chance it's been dropped at some point. At least with the one with the insurance claim, you know someone took a proper look at it afterwards.

Bibio 30-09-13 04:18 PM

only if i really really had to e.g. i was skint and the only way to be on two wheels.