SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Speeding (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=210781)

JulesW 07-06-14 04:57 PM

Speeding

Absolutely gutted! Picked up a second speeding ticket in 2 months and like most working people I cannot afford to lose my licence.

I ride purely for recreation because riding a bike quickly is a tremendous amount of fun. I can't imagine owning a bike and sticking rigidly to speed limits, 60 mph feels like you're standing still on some roads.

Now I'm scared to take the bike out in case I get another one. How do you guys enjoy a quickish ride and avoid getting banned?

My mate suggested getting a 'Road Angel' or similar device, or a track bike and forget riding on roads. Dunno what to do about this :(

Bibio 07-06-14 05:04 PM

Re: Speeding

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesW (Post 2960359)

Now I'm scared to take the bike out in case I get another one. How do you guys enjoy a quickish ride and avoid getting banned?

i keep my head up, eyes open and brain on :rolleyes:

JulesW 07-06-14 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bibio (Post 2960364)
i keep my head up, eyes open and brain on :rolleyes:

I too keep my head up, eyes open and brain on! The cops are sneaky though, they hide their cameras. Was hoping for a response other than a p1ss take. :thumbsup:

maviczap 07-06-14 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesW (Post 2960367)
. Was hoping for a response other than a p1ss take. :thumbsup:

What do you expect, sympathy :rolleyes:

Slow down :)

Matt-EUC 07-06-14 05:42 PM

Use little B roads and stick to 30/40 limits unless they're in a stupid place and there's nowhere for a copper to stand..

If you're blasting along at 90mph on a big A road with places to hide, then expect points to come.

DJ123 07-06-14 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesW (Post 2960359)
Absolutely gutted! Picked up a second speeding ticket in 2 months and like most working people I cannot afford to lose my licence.

I ride purely for recreation because riding a bike quickly is a tremendous amount of fun. I can't imagine owning a bike and sticking rigidly to speed limits, 60 mph feels like you're standing still on some roads.

My mate suggested getting a 'Road Angel' or similar device, or a track bike and forget riding on roads. Dunno what to do about this :(

Riding quickly is for a certain time & place. By the sounds of it you don't know when it's appropriate to do so. If you are being caught on camera then I have no doubt it will be on a NSL road with lots of speed camera signs warning you about it.
Riding quick in a straight line takes no skill & isn't as much fun as getting the bike leaned over in the bends. Get off the main roads & get on the twisty B roads and develop your cornering skills.

Phoenix22 07-06-14 06:43 PM

I'm obviously more 'switched on' when on the bike. I would consider myself quite a quick experienced rider and have never been caught in 30 years of riding, yet twice for speeding in the van in the last six months.

****ed off with both of them as they were marginal........59 in a 50, got a speed awareness course for that, then bugger me I got copped again 79 in a 70, £100 and 3 points please sir. Welcome to Wales.

Bibio 07-06-14 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulesW (Post 2960367)
I too keep my head up, eyes open and brain on! The cops are sneaky though, they hide their cameras. Was hoping for a response other than a p1ss take. :thumbsup:

not a p!ss take, you cant be looking ahead properly or you would have seen the device.

as others have said, get off the main A roads and get onto the back/single track roads as its much more fun and you will learn new skills.

Red Herring 07-06-14 07:35 PM

Were you caught by a fixed camera, a mobile camera van, or a copper with a laser gun?

DJFridge 07-06-14 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 2960439)
Were you caught by a fixed camera, a mobile camera van, or a copper with a laser gun?

If he looked like this, probably a laser gun

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/u...eprecinct2.jpg