SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Numb wrists? (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=72813)

Diveboy 11-06-06 10:54 PM

Numb wrists?

Recently I have been getting numb hands/wrists from long journeys on the SV. I was wondering if progressive springs might help solve the problem. On the standard springs i have them set quite hard for cornering.

SVeeedy Gonzales 12-06-06 08:45 AM

Try rotating the clutch and front brake controls round (down) by 10-20 degrees first? In their normal position they're a bit high and aren't as easy on the wrists. Only takes and 8 and 10mm spanner and 5 mins to change them.

Viney 12-06-06 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVeeedy Gonzales
Try rotating the clutch and front brake controls round (down) by 10-20 degrees first? In their normal position they're a bit high and aren't as easy on the wrists. Only takes and 8 and 10mm spanner and 5 mins to change them.

Agreed. I used my girfriends SV last week and through traffic my wrists started aching. My SV has the lever rotated, as suggested, and all is cool again :D

Oh and be careful doing up the bolts, they strip rrrrrreallllly easy.

fizzwheel 12-06-06 09:06 AM

Agreed, rotate your levers round that makes it alot more comfortable.

The other thing that I found helps on along trip was to relax and not grip the bars to tightly.

kciN 12-06-06 09:56 AM

Hmmmm Rotate levers, why didn't I think of that!

My right wrist aches as I tend to ride with index finger on front brake and put's undue strain and hurts after quite a short period!
Left hand is fine!

I think I'll 'rotate' later! :wink:

K 12-06-06 10:07 AM

Ooooh, now that sounds like something easy and simple enough I could try it and be successful! :wink:

I get a problem with a numb spot on my right hand, basically all of my little finger, down the edge of my hand and that side of my wrist. I get it even on short trips of about 70 miles or so - though part of the reason is a couple of badly healed broken bones to that area. :roll:

Marshall 12-06-06 10:17 AM

why have i never thought of this, my right hand goes to sleep all the time, i hope this helps

Cheers
Marshall

ujoni08 12-06-06 02:12 PM

wrists

On the subject, has anyone rotated the bars on the forks? I've moved the levers down, but want to rotate the bars forwards a bit, to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve (outer part of the palm). If I put a T-square on each of the the grips, they meet at a point in the middle of my chest, which not where my arms attach to my body. I don't know why Suzuki fits the bars at such an angle. This means all my weight is on the outer part of my palms. Problem is, there's a small casting under the top yoke to prevent accidental rotation. I'd have to cut off the casting (a small blob of alloy) to do this. I think this would relieve a lot of the wrist ache. Anyone done this, or have any thoughts?
Jon.

fubber 12-06-06 03:56 PM

I fitted gel padding into my gloves to alleviate pressure on the ulnar nerve - took the padding out of an old pair of cycling gloves I had lying around, small change, big difference...

Quiff Wichard 12-06-06 04:56 PM

Re: wrists

Quote:

Originally Posted by ujoni08
On the subject, has anyone rotated the bars on the forks? I've moved the levers down, but want to rotate the bars forwards a bit, to relieve pressure on the ulnar nerve (outer part of the palm). If I put a T-square on each of the the grips, they meet at a point in the middle of my chest, which not where my arms attach to my body. I don't know why Suzuki fits the bars at such an angle. This means all my weight is on the outer part of my palms. Problem is, there's a small casting under the top yoke to prevent accidental rotation. I'd have to cut off the casting (a small blob of alloy) to do this. I think this would relieve a lot of the wrist ache. Anyone done this, or have any thoughts?
Jon.

isnt hter a screw undernesth each clip on that means you haveto have them at that angle.?... I mean near the tank side.. not hte main bolt that tightens it up-

if you change the angle etc.. will it not affect your turning and possible snag on the tank?