View Single Post
Old 31-05-07, 08:43 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Tyres...argh, sticky this sticky that :( ;)

Take the standard Dunlops fitted to the pointy when I bought it (220's) and a novice road rider who's used to off road riding (that'd be me then).

Add a couple of thousand miles for the engine to wear in properly on the brand new bike, I think it was around the 4-5k miles mark. I was already pushing the bike so hard that the tyres were loosing grip & sliding. I felt like I could push the bike harder, but the limiting factor was grip (or rather lack thereof).

Yes, you could argue that after 5000miles the wear on the tyres would be affecting grip, and brand new 220's might not do that, but I wanted something that would last longer. So I stuck on Z6's.

Yes, I've got to the point where I can slide on the Z6's (even on freshly scrubbed in tyres), but that's quite a bit further than sliding on the 220's.

IMO, tyres are a definite factor in how hard you can push the bike, and some tyres give before others. On the SV, the comparison is a lot closer, and I suspect that many wouldn't even notice. I remember Petevtwin650 commenting that he doesn't think he'd feel the front of his curvy starting to slide, and the man has covered many more miles than I have, yet I can feel it starting to go. I didn't notice it on the 220's, but I'm putting that down to me being a novice. I have been able to feel it on every Z6 I've had fitted to the bike.

On more powerful bikes, the difference in tyres, on the road (I haven't ridden anything but the SV on a track) is more noticable.