View Single Post
Old 04-09-07, 08:04 PM   #24
-Ralph-

Default Re: Sights that scare you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
who think that people shouldn't be made to take more responsibility.
So what about the responsibility we ARE "forced" to take? We have to wear a helmet by law, the 33bhp thing, minimum tyre tread, MOT, what do we think of that? Should that all be left down to the invididual being responsible too?

This guy shows that some people are not capable of being responsible! Some things just shouldn't be left to choice. Not that I'm suggesting the law needs changed, because other than gloves which don't protect against life threatening injury anyway, I'm not sure what else you can make compulsory. A "jacket designed for the purpose" I suppose.

I'll nip 1 mile to the shops at lunchtime without putting on my boots and bike trousers, I'll even do a senisble weekend run in walking boots and jeans, I but won't ride on the public road without bike jacket and gloves, or "go for a blast" without full protective gear. And I have lost the skin from one side of my body once already. Your own safety is a choice.

I maintain persepctive by remembering that when I started riding mopeds at 16 and bikes at 17, "gear" consisted of a leather bikers jacket and jeans or leather trousers, or a leather racing suit, and leather boots above the ankle. Nobody had armour unless they'd spend serious money, and then everyone else thought they were a pr1ck. But you still took the precautions that were available at the time. You were "responsible".

The guy mentioned here does make me cringe. If he wants to ride in the buff, fine, but putting his daughter on a bike with no protection is just parental neglect. Riding a bike is much more likely to result in injury than getting out of bed or running down the pavement.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 04-09-07 at 08:07 PM.