View Single Post
Old 09-10-07, 01:21 AM   #4
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gen 1 w/zx6 shock, 05 GSXR forks, notes & question

I'm no expert but I'm running same forks(standard but playing around with different oil viscosity) on mine.

If they have been extended then forks shouldn't measure 25mm less than standard SV forks . Standard GSXR forks measure roughly 20mm/25mm shorter than the SV.

352mm(+15mm) shock length has been said to the magic number for a good swinging arm angle...all arguable as the say

Personally, for waht it appears most of your riding is, I'll say 25mm to 30mm extra ride height(compared to standard) measured at tail using shorter dog bones. You'll have to work out the dog bones to give that figure. I'm assumming 5mm longer shock is roughly 10mm at tail.

Run rider sag a bit more than you'd normally IMHO. I'd run no less than 35mm and could probably run a bit more(possibly up to 40mm). Depends on how the forks have been lengthened/worked on

Base numbers as that's all they can be as we all prefer different setups.....For an example I couldn't ride Northwinds bike and he'll probably think my bike steers like a barge lol

*If forks have been extended run them them flush with just the fork cap bit protruding.
*sag between 35mm/40mm
*120/70
*Ride height measure at tail between 25mm/30mm(roughly 10mmm of that is account for shorter shock)
*Rear sag 25mm-30mm

PS if you liked the bike on the standard forks dropped 20mm with the standard 120/60 size(correct) then no reason why you can't run the forks flush(as above) if they have indeed been lengthened.
The GSXR 600/750 yoke offset are pretty close to the SVs as it goes. So with a 10mm extension and stronger(read better rated springs), it's very likey be very close to what you liked.

To be honest though I'll say go with a 120/70 all said. For street riding which all of my riding is done I do prefer the more neutral feel of the 120/60 myself especially at slower pace.......oops that'll be my pace then lol

Yep, double check your figure again. Hope you found some useful stuff in amongst all that..... hehe. Others may have view though

Ben

ps:
My set up is as below.....no track riding here mind
*120/70 front
*Forks set 10mm shorter than standard or extended 10mm depending on how you look at it
*38mmm rider sag on
*Silkolene Pro RSF 7.5W(will be trying silkolene Pro RSF 5Wwhen I get the chance)....tried Putoline HPX 5W and Silkolene Pro RSF 10W so far in last few weeks and feel I'm getting nearer to what I'd like.....oil wise.
*Standard shock but a Penske will be replacing that soon to give an extra 5mm(possibly 7mm/10mm at a push) longer shock length

I prefer the stability....and argubly better feel a lazy(lazier?) set up gives me.
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us

Last edited by 21QUEST; 09-10-07 at 01:33 AM.
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote