View Single Post
Old 15-12-07, 10:41 AM   #30
wheelnut

Default Re: never been to a track day, what you like to have known before your first track experience?

Ive done a few, with living so close to Donington, I sometimes just ride up and join in. I have never been brave enough or confident enough to go in any other group than novice. Although I have done California levels 1 & 2 twice.

I doubt you will need a speedo, you wont have time to look at it anyway, some track day organisers tape them up as a matter of course as you do the briefing. You wont be looking at the bike but looking at the track layout unless you are just doing it so a mate can take a photo. avoid this too as you will be looking for him and make a mistake.

Ride for yourself, you will pass blokes on Ducatis and Gixxers, don't think you are the next Valentino Stoner. They are hanging back to give themselves room, to try something new, to even attack one corner or type of corner that is giving them a problem. This is good advice, if you feel crowded, ride through the pit lane and back out. Its not a race

Donington will scare the poo out of you as you drop down into Craner towards the bridge for the first time, it feels like you are falling off a cliff edge as you try to get round the corner. The loop is good fun too and will teach you a lot about the bike, approach, lines and getting back on the throttle.