View Single Post
Old 28-01-09, 10:30 AM   #1
Ed

Default Barmouth or Bust - Saturday 4 April

Thought it would be a good idea to open up a separate thread now.

Leaving Telford Services J4 M54 at 9.30am, heading via the old A5 to Shrewsbury and collecting at Shrewsbury Services (junction A49/A5) at 10am. Route is below. Please note that it is not yet finalised!! In particular, on reflection the rather long way round through Wem and Whitchurch is likely to change such that we go (from S'bury Services) round the S'bury by pass to the A49/A53 roundabout, take second exit (Battlefield Link Road) to the A528 and turn right onto the A528 direct to Ellesmere. The A528 looks straight but it most definitely isn't! This will save about 30 - 40 mins - it's a long enough ride as it is and I'm just a bit concerned that the timings will go haywire and people will get tired if we try to do too much. However the clocks go forward the weekend before, so there will be plenty of daylight and we should be back in S'bury (the end is my house - open invite for tea & cake) around tea time.

I will find a day to recce the route in full and put up some more detailed timings, but basically we're headed for the Ponderosa via Ellesmere, Ruabon and Llangollen. Then on to Dolgellau and Barmouth via the south side of Bala lake - this avoids going into Bala altogether - a good thing I think - and I suggest that as the police can be fairly sensitive that we trip round it in small groups and regroup at the western end.

I know that there will be some new riders coming and that for some this will be their first rideout. Please rest assured that it is not a race and you will not feel intimidated - it will be a moderate pace, with plenty of fuel/coffee/smoke stops, and it will be marked so you won't get lost. Normal org rideout rules will apply.

Coming from a distance? DarylB and Beverley (who live a few miles away from the Shrewsbury start) have kindly volunteered to accommodate. Also, whilst not exactly ideal, my old office is empty and I'd very happily let people kip in there - I can provide a sleeping bag or two. Downside is - (a) no shower, and (b) it's town centre, not ideal to park up a bike right outside overnight but I know a town centre resident who I'm sure would let us use his back garden which is secure.

If anyone wants to volunteer to be TEC then that would be very helpful.

Google map:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...25&ie=UTF8&z=9

Finally a note on the weather. Rain will NOT stop play. OK?

More follows as soon as I can do the recce.

Ed

It would be helpful to have an idea of how many bikes to expect. Cut and paste and add:

1. Ed