View Single Post
Old 23-09-09, 09:48 PM   #52
-Ralph-

Default Re: The Single malt appreciation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_73 View Post
Old Pultenie, Knockanddoo,

I have a 21yr old Old Cask Balmenach
My wife used to work for Inver House distillers. She bought a lovely bottle of Balmenach one day that went down far too quickly, I loved it, when I tried to order more she asked for more at work then came home and told me it had been the last bottling run. I could have divorced her there and then for not telling me that when I got the first bottle! Oh, well, whisky is for drinking!

Drinking a 18yr old Knockando now, it's very nice. Wooden boxed bottle that I got in a supermarket in France for 20 quid (well was shopping with my 'rents-in-law and when my eyes popped out of their sockets they bought it for me), opened it the other weekend when Kilted Ginger was down to visit (I had been waiting for the right excuse) and I haven't left it alone since.

Also have a Ardbeg "Very Young" cask strength that I was given half a bottle of by a friend when he went travelling, I thought "very young" WTF is this? and I hadn't touched it in preference of other stuff in the cabinet, until KG said "let me try it", as you would expect of a cask strength "very young" it was awful as is, but with just the right amount of water, about 30/70 it is very nice.

Collection is a bit low at the moment as the usual Inver House suspects in my cabinet, Old Pultney 12yo, Balblair 16yo, Speyburn 10yo, and anCnoc 12yo, have all run dry need restocking but I do have a Glenlivet 15yo that KG gave me (needs a tiny drop of water, then it's beautiful), Glenfiddich 12yo, and a Bowmore "Surf" (litre bottles two for 40 odd quid duty free on the Dover-Calais ferry).

I also have decanter no. 508 of only 609 bottled, of Edradour cask strength, distilled in 1993 and bottled in 2007. A good friend bought it for me in 2007 and I'm going to produce it from my suitcase and open it on his 40th birthday in a couple of years time, it will surprise him 'cos he'll expect me to have finished it, never mind kept it sealed.

A wee tip, KG and I both bought Glenfiddich 12yo half bottles for about a tenner in Sainsbury's a couple of weeks ago, proper 350ml half bottle at considerably less than half the price of a full bottle.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 23-09-09 at 09:58 PM.