View Single Post
Old 02-06-10, 03:51 PM   #21
Welsh_Wizard

Default Re: Gym/running advice thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Ox View Post
+1 on the dont run in Gym, it's a waste.
two hundred and thirty four thousand nine hundred and 29 % disagree.

Running in a gym is as good as you put in. Same as any other aerobic exercise. If you do it half-assed because you don't want the blonde on the stepper to look down on you then fine, however i can work out just as well in the gym as i do on the road.

Fartlek training on a running machine is an absolutely quality work out. Yeah, you can do it on the road too but on a running machine it can be just as effective, if not more if done correctly.

I second the advice about the rubbish advice. What works for one won't necessarily work for another.

Ultimately this is a motorbike forum so whilst you can get opinion on here, i struggle to believe that you can get quality advice. Go to a specific health site like MensHealth and try your questions there if you are that desperate for advice. Either that or research yourself.

Or...if your feeling flush, seek out one of the thousands of personal trainers that offer their services these days. Not only will they make you a quality program tailored to you, they will be a fountain of relevant knowledge, a kick up the backside when your flagging and a whole host of other benefits.

I was like you, 2 years ago the best part of 18 stone. I am down to just under 16 now and most of it i put down to the knowledge i have learnt along the way from the personal trainer i had. Very little advice or knowledge did i get from a forum (including MensHealth), i find them only useful for product reviews.