View Single Post
Old 29-07-10, 09:55 PM   #12
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Doing the rideout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf View Post
Riding with 200 others is no different from riding with 30 others

You'll only ever see up to 20 in front of you and maybe 5 behind unless you're on a really long straight

But it's more interesting when you can fill a small supermarket car park when you stop...

Just remember to wave and smile to the folks that stop and stare...

Now... Organising a 200 rider rideout... That's the challenge...
i agree here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Oh, well, nice to see I'm not alone.

It's not speed that worries me to be honest, I'm not talking about people crashing because they are not riding at their own pace, more what Fizz says about leaving room and space, and not ending up like a pack of dominoes if somebody gets into trouble, panics, or does something silly. Or people getting frustrated with the pace and riding down the wrong side of the road trying to get up front, before cutting back into a busy pack in at the last minute with oncoming cars flashing headlights, as I've seen a few times on the GM. Also once a car driver has waited for 100 bikes to pass at a give way, he is going to be pretty tempted to go for a silly gap and pull out on someone. Or simply someone marvelling that they can see see so many bikes in their mirrors, then looking back forwards just in time to avoid whoever they had been careering towards. Or car drivers marvelling at us and pointing us out to the kids, instead of looking where they are going. Etc, etc , etc. I just think we are all going to need to be all eyes!

100 bikes arriving in one place at the same time is just a situation on the road that nobody is expecting, nor is anybody particularly used to, and that's when **** happens.
you raise some valid points, but the way i see it is that you can only control what you do! give yourself the best chance of anticipating and then reacting to a situation as you can. be confident and don't worry about what you can't control is my way of thinking. i've ridden in groups plenty of times, but none as big as this, other than the previous 2 AR's, but i'm not going to get myself worked up and worried about it (i don't mean this in a nasty way as there are plenty of other things that make me crap myself, lol).
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob

Last edited by chris8886; 29-07-10 at 09:56 PM.
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote