View Single Post
Old 21-03-11, 09:42 AM   #9
-Ralph-

Default Re: When is no claims bonus not no claims bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
So, scenario number 2.
What do I do with the Triumph if I want to ride that as well? It is insured with another company & they received proof of NCB from me with no problems whatsoever

You are not allowed to use your NCB on more than one bike, unless it is with the same insurer and they are happy to give you that discount on more than one bike, but really that's not an NCB on both bikes (even though the paperwork may say that), it's an NCB on one, and a volume discount on the other for giving them more than one policy.

This means that I have 3 motorcycles, all could be ridden if the MOTs were renewed on them, but I could only use the no claims on 1 machine & pay full premium on the other 2.

Correct. What if you had 20 bikes, the insurance companies would loose a lot of money if they had to give you and NCB discount on 20 policies

Now I am a simple chap. I would have thought that if I hadn't claimed for 3 years on a motorcycle, that means that I have 3 years NCB irrespective of the bike I'm riding, but obviously insurance companies think differently.

Yes, they do. This is the way it has always been with NCB.
So strictly speaking the latter of the two bikes that were insured with the same NCB is not covered as you are not paying the correct amount for the policy. If they found out you had NCB discounted insurance on another bike they could either send you the bill for the difference (as Devvitt are threatening to do now), or they wouldn't pay out in an accident. I don't know whether they can find out via the MIB database or not.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 21-03-11 at 09:43 AM.