Thread: Solar panels
View Single Post
Old 22-08-11, 06:12 PM   #29
flymo
Mega Poster

Default Re: Solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigersaw View Post
I'm trying to be convinced. I accept that electricity charges will rise, probably by more than inflation for the foreseeable future.
Your own statement saying it will have paid for itself in 9 years - is that just the capital return, or what the capital would have been worth invested?
Best way to understand all thats included is to fill in the free investment calculator on the energy savings trust website, its free to do.

Quote:
Its all early days for me. It will fall in price - for instance the inverters can be retro fitted for more efficient and power factor corrected versions for considerably less than the fitters charge, the PV panels' efficiency will creep up.
That's all true of course, technology never stands still. At some point though you have to get on the merry go round as there will always be something better/cheaper in future years.

Quote:
Against all that the feed in tarriff, whilst guarrenteed for yourself, will not be so generous in the future.
As an aside, what is to stop you buying the electric at 13p and feeding it back as simulated solar generated at 44p?
I fully expect the FIT to reduce as more and more people adopt solar, thats the point of it to get things moving. I think it has already been announced that it will drop by a percentage in April and would expect it to do the same annually, the good thing is that you retain the rate you get at the point of entering the scheme, it only reduces for new joiners. Only thing stopping me selling back what I buy from the grid is the law, the FIT is a payment to cover what you generate from a solar installation, as measured by the meter installed at the time. You would be committing fraud by doing so. Also nothing stopping you from buying a small gadget to connect up to your meter to make it go backwards, but still thats illegal. It was quite satisfying the other day when the meter man came to take readings when we both watched my meter legally spinning furiously backwards while the sun was out

Last edited by flymo; 22-08-11 at 06:14 PM.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote