View Single Post
Old 04-10-11, 11:51 AM   #61
-Ralph-

Default Re: slightly surprised........

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Other posts finally picked up the bait on this thread then! Last time I looked at it it was just Rictus OP and Orose's reply.

I'll happily organise the next AR.

I'll tell you the date,
I'll tell you what campsite we are going to, and I'll even give you the phone number so you can book you own pitch,
I'll tell you what route we are riding,
If you need any other local facilites, I'll tell you exactly where to find them
And finally if you have any complaints, I'll tell you where to stick 'em!

So, did I get the job?
My post was obviously tongue in cheek, but it was intended to make a point.

Organisation of weekend rideouts needs a bit of a revolution on this forum.

There have been far too many instances of people putting their time forward, then getting slagged because they haven't chosen the right date, or location, or it's too far to walk to the pub.

There has also been a culture, perhaps created by the organisers themselves, they they are the providers, and they will provide... ie: there will be a range of accommodation options, there will be a range of food options, we will get our own field, the toilets will be less than 100yd walk, there will be wigwam and B&B options provided for the non-campers, etc, etc. It's become an organised event, not just a bunch of people camping in a field, getting ****ed and riding bikes.

It needs to break back down to basics, and the organisation be much simpler, much more like my post quoted above.

If somebody is not happy with the date, they don't go. If somebody is not happy with the camping facilities, they get the Yellow pages out and book a B&B. If they don't want to go to the nearest pub for food, they can find the nearest takeaway, or buy a disposable BBQ.

A facility provided during a weekend rideouts is something the organiser does out of the good of their own hearts for the benefit of all. It is something forum members are lucky to have to opportunity to partake in if they choose to, not something that forum members are entitled to be provided with. If you want to be entitled something on your weekend break, I suggest you go to www.superbreak.com, they'll provide all the facilities you need for a weekend, on the dates you want, in the location you want, in exchange for a few hundred quid.

These events shouldn't cost the organiser a lot of time, but they certainly shouldn't cost the organiser a penny, other than perhaps petrol money for recce's on the route and visiting potential campsites.

The rideout itself, route, TEC, markers, etc, should be the most difficult bit of it.

If your not happy with what the organiser has provided for you free of charge, don't attend. If you attend and your not happy with something, remember it wasn't something organised by a tour operator and paid for out of your hard earned.

If weekends got back to basics, and people realised that they are not 'entitled' to anything, then perhaps more people would be happier to step forward and organise them.

Last edited by -Ralph-; 04-10-11 at 11:54 AM.