View Single Post
Old 15-05-12, 08:51 PM   #55
darylB

Default Re: Joining an advanced riding group?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialone View Post
Personally I don't get it, why bother 'risking' an overtake (even if doing a tried and trusted method but open to misinterpretation or mistakes) when you can normally just wait 30 seconds and there will be a safer, straighter opportunity.

What is so important that can't wait a few seconds?

If my senses don't like a possible overtake situation, I'll wait.

I appreciate advanced riding is what the above involves, but it's not what I'd want from it tbh.
Correct on all counts, as a Senior Observer (IAM) I would never advocate those types of risky overtakes and would take to task anyone of my associates who tried and took those. They are dangerous in the extreme and you may get away for so long but ultimately riding like that is only going to end in tears or worse. While we teach people to make progress where possible it is also balanced with showing restraint when needed. better to be a few minutes late in this life than years too early for the next. I would be surprised and dismayed if any observer advocated this sort of riding and would question their ability to teach advanced riding and if any observers in our group o.k'd riding like this I would certainly have strong words with them about their observing skills. Riding fast and making good smoothe progress does not have to involve risks and that is what advanced riding is all about. Good observation is key and putting yourself on the wrong side of the road without being able to see if it's clear is asking for trouble.

Daryl.