View Single Post
Old 07-06-12, 11:18 AM   #1
-Ralph-

Default OMG and 'Like' - Impact of technology on language

New thread. Too much of a derail for a D Day thread that should be kept on topic out of respect IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grh1904 View Post
I think it's become representative of the society we live in today where everything is said along these lines:-

"Like OMG!, the olympic flame was like being carried by Jedward and like these old people wanted the news to like have some coverage of some dead people who like kinda fough in some other like foreign country who don't even speak English like; I mean who really cares about some dead people like, what did they ever do for us like???".

I write this after a conversation at the weekend with my 16 year old neice, she's doing her GCSE's & finishes school in a week or two before going to 6th form in September. She showed me her year book where all her friends had written in it & it was just like above like, you know I mean like, OMG!, it's just like that (even the teachers wrote like that!!!).

Everything nowadays has to fit in with social media/social mobility/farcebook/twitter/Jeremy Kyle; and if it doesn't then....................................

I would also like to take this oportunity to say "THANK YOU", may those who paid the ultimate sacrifice to give me the democracy, freedom of speech & freedoms that I enjoy today RIP knowing it was a job well done.
A newborn child is a blank canvas GRH. If there's something important that you dont approve of about your niece, that says more about your brother/sister/in laws.

I know what you mean about education and if she is incapable of writing properly when doing a piece of coursework, her study notes, or writing a CV, etc, then thats an issue her parents should have cared enough about to realise it and ensure it was rectified. Writing OMG and 'like' in her yearbook is just trends and peer pressure. Just like we might have said 'Cool' or 'Dude'. Technology just brings it to our attention. How much of your written work did your Aunts and Uncles see when you were her age? Mine was all on paper in foolscap binders, the only people that looked at those was my teachers and my parents. Nobody but my friends and the occssional teacher when I was caught saw notes passed round the classroom.

If we had had access to the same technology as kids today, would our casual messages to our friends be any better?? We all spoke in slang as kids, and adults shook thier heads. Technology now encorages kids express themselves in writing!

Last edited by Luckypants; 07-06-12 at 12:41 PM.