View Single Post
Old 19-06-12, 01:32 PM   #42
darylB

Default Re: Do you ride with fear?

While I agree mostly with what Ralph and Chris are saying about having to ride to speed limits while undertaking advanced tuition, as a Senior observer IAM i am bound by rules, one of the most rigidly enforced is that of keeping to speed limits, I cannot say to an associate that he/she can exceed them according to circumstance and nor could anybody else, wether it be bikesafe, rospa or bike instructors, however there is some flexibility with regards to overtaking in 60s or 70s, (10%ish) as long as the associate then comes back down to the limit after. This is because we would rather the associate is looking where they are going and not at the speedo. also I would say it is dangerous to do what you think the driver in front/ behind wants or expects you to do, the only person who can tell 100% what they are thinking is them, I am not a mind reader and I doubt if anyone else is. As long as you are keeping up with the flow of traffic then ignore what other people may be thinking, if someon wants to overtake illegally then let them, don't be tempted to speed because of them, it may also put you out of your comfort zone and into danger. I agree totally about the right gear worn, it won't stop an accident but it makes it a lot less painful.

Daryl.