View Single Post
Old 25-07-12, 09:15 AM   #1
missyburd

Default Good deed or stupid deed?

Yesterday, while out on the bike (on a road that's mostly double whites ) I got stuck behind a car that was stuck behind a scooter with L plates which was acting very strangely. The scooter's brakes were on constantly with hardly any let up around all the bends and as a result the back end was sliding all over the shop. He was doing about 40/45mph. Now this road is a fairly fluid and quick one so none of the bends are particularly sharp (in the section we were on anyway) so as soon as the scooter's back end fishtailed it could straighten up again...but it wasn't right at all. Once I eventually got past the car in front I decided I was going to try and chat to this bloke We'd just gone into a 40 limit, so I stayed behind knowing there was a long straight coming up in the national speed limit before I would have to turn off myself.

The scooter rider was hugging the kerb to let me pass but I drew up level with him instead and after a good 10 secs he finally noticed I was next to him waving like an idiot to pull over which he did straight away. I then had a chat with him and it turned out he'd had the scooter a week and not been riding long. I basically told him about braking and if he happened to hit a patch of manure or gravel it might end badly. Used the example of me doing it on my SV and how it would end very badly and that there was basically no need to use the brake all the time. Admittedly I've never ridden a scooter but I was pretty sure the principles were the same. He didn't seem to realise he was using it but his lights were on and something was causing the back end to wobble around like that. After I'd apologised for my eyes watering and him concernedly inquiring about how I was treating myself for it I said goodbye and beggared off.

Once I got home and had told YC he was rather worried that it could have been some chavvy imbecile who would have punched me for said actions but I would have expected the scooter rider to have wanted a race when a big bike draws up next to him, or have waved stupidly back at me, in which case I'd have pished off and left him. This bloke must have been able to tell something was up and acted accordingly. I could tell by the look of shock in his eyes when he saw me that he wasn't going to do owt lol. Besides which, he was about my build and foreign, I could have 'ad 'im

So. Good deed or bloody stupid thing to do? I can't say I really thought about the consequences of how the bloke might have reacted (in retrospect I really should have!), I was just compelled to let him know as he was a danger to other road users and of course himself

Last edited by missyburd; 25-07-12 at 09:16 AM.