View Single Post
Old 02-08-12, 08:14 AM   #28
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: buying second hand stuff = headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3nny View Post
Lol well I can only speak from personal experience but I have had 3 306s one of which was bought by my parents and kept for in the family for 12 years and 220,000 miles and hadn't had a single major problem.
Unlike every secondhand saxo then which will have 47 previous owners, none of which having ever successfully completed puberty on selling it!

Not all the French stuff is that bad, the 1.9XUD engine is a thing of oily beauty! My mate had a 205D that had been around a bit, absolutely stupid mileage on it, it started rattling a bit at about 300, he kept it for another 20 or so and it still had good compression and did 60mpg.
All we had to do was weld up the back beam which at 15 years old something had to rot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
TBH VW's are hit and miss, a contractor (where I'm working) has the caddy's and transporter's and they have killed one in under year (had done 50k in 11 months). They do run 2 years and get shot lease hire
50k's appalling for a van. The transporters are usually decent. Shame they are fitting hand-grenade-seeking-war common rail on everything these days