View Single Post
Old 08-09-14, 02:51 PM   #66
Fordward

Default Re: Bereaved family releases shocking video

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMango View Post
Before reading these forum replies I would also have gone left to avoid the collision but due to the memory of this video and all these posts if this ever happened to me I will remember to go right.
Don't write yourself any rules. Every situation is different and you have to assess it as you approach it and plan your escape route - in advance.

"OK, there's a car signalling or waiting to turn across my path, if he hasn't seen me and he does turn in front of me, where am I going to go?"

There's a lot of talk on here about whether he would have been able to make a decision and react at 60mph. Don't react when the car starts to turn, understand that he might turn and think about it in advance. That way when the car does it, you don't waste time wondering which way to go do whilst soiling your trousers, you just brake and steer.

In this case right was the best way to go, but if there has been another car behind that one also entering the filter lane, you wouldn't be able to swerve right into the filter lane, because you'd seriously be at risk of having a head on with the second car.

Sometimes you enter dangerous situations where there is no viable escape route, for instance the road might be too narrow, in that case think in advance, where is the softest place to crash.

Assess each dangerous situation as it develops in front of you, and plan the escape route that's appropriate to that situation.

Of course you need to be at an appropriate speed for the situation, so that you give yourself time to plan, and to execute the plan.