View Single Post
Old 17-04-15, 05:55 PM   #1
TheJakeMan

Default Is my sound bike now scrap?

So this morning i dropped off my (perfect running) k6 650 at a Suzuki dealer for its 14k service. With it involving a valve check i was already expecting a pretty hefty bill and was pondering over whether to get it done as I'm looking to trade the bike in for something more upright.
A few hours later i got the call i was dreading; "have you had any problems with it running weird?" the mechanic asked in a curious tone, "no it's never had a problem except for a puncture or 2"...
A couple of calls later and much talk of cold starter solenoids and how they can't be bought without coming complete with throttle bodies (£700+) it seems the bike i was quoted £1400 on trade-in now needs £700 worth of parts plus labour to fit and after the £300+ service it all looks like the bike that rode like a dream this morning is now worth absolutely nothing!

Having fired it up and been treated to my once perfect runner idling at over 3000rpm with seemingly a good 10mm more free-play in the throttle i rode it away in disgust/embarrassment before causing a scene.

My current options as i see it are:
1. spend a huge amount of money and try to convince myself (and my wrecked neck) i may as well just keep the bike.
2. sell it for peanuts to someone with the mechanical abilities to repair it or strip it down and sell it in parts.

(p.s. other than ruining a lovely bike the service went fine )