View Single Post
Old 30-04-15, 08:28 PM   #25
Ratty

Default Re: Sv1000 better made than the SV650?

Hi guys

I had a new 650SK3 for 3 years and 10000 miles, then bought an SV1000SZ in 2007 and done about 24000 miles and 35 trackdays on her ( including this Wednesday at glorious Donington ), so I feel well qualified to answer this. The 650 was a great bike, but the 1000 is a much better all round bike. Brakes and suspension are great when set up well and yes, it's a bit heavier, but it can still be hustled along at a very good pace. Fuel consumption can be really good just trundling round at 85-90 but she drinks the stuff on track. She has been ultra reliable with just the battery letting me down after 9 years. I have had to change the rear collector gasket twice and had the rear shock serviced and revalved 2 winters ago and the front forks has heavier oil. Braided lines with EBC HH work well wet and dry and I find Michelin dual compound tyres work very well and last for ages. I usually have about 3mm left in the middle when the edges have gone ( due to 5 or 6 trackdays per year ). I have checked the valve clearances twice and still in spec at nearly 30K, but if you do need to change them, it is an easier job than many bikes because you don't have to disturb the cam chains to get the cams out. I have posted quite a few track videos in the photo's section if you want to see and hear her go at places like Oulton, Anglesey, Donington, Mallory and Cadwell. Feel free to ask any questions and maybe see you at the Cat some time. I'm up there every now and again.

Hope this helps. Here is the old girls at work.