View Single Post
Old 04-07-15, 10:28 AM   #22
Big Bad Al

Default Re: K4 Down after 11 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
New motorbike. 11 years on London commute without a scratch is an amazing record. The same thing could have happened on a push bike. Or in a car albeit you wouldn't have been injured the same. Or you could get cancer, or you could get killed just walking down the pavement one day.

Critically you've got a few broken ribs and a lung that will heal in a few weeks, you're not dead. In six weeks you'll be right as rain and ready for the next 11 years.

That's what riding carefully does for you, in the main it's the high speed idiots that end up killing themselves and driving up all the statistics. Riders like you are much more likely to get injured in the much rarer accidents than killed, because you just don't put yourselves in those fatal high impact situations in the first place.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Yep, I will will be getting a new bike. Looking at the Gladius / SVF650. Same power, similar size & weight plus I get to sit upright a little bit - I never did get round to putting bar risers on my SVS. I think that would suit me perfectly. I paid £4200 OTR for my SVS in 2003 and had one breakdown with a flat battery (sloppy install of heated grips - subsequently wired in to the ignition) and just a year ago, one of the carbon brushes on the starter had worn and decided to give up during a fuel stop on the morning commute). So the bike has been incredible value for money and I was quite surprised to see how used prices are holding up although I guess they will fall a little come autumn. I have been trying to use my electric assisted pushbike (prior to last weeks spill) and I have not yet managed to get a full week out it without an issue. Punctures, broken chain, broken sprocket tooth. So the SV has been an amazing bike. But I don't need to tell you...... I just need to check that it ticks all the boxes, then when I am allowed by SWMBO I will get myself down to Daytona MC and get a test ride sorted. Thanks again for the positive words, everything you and others have said is spot on.... Once you step outside your front door, and even before you do, anything can happen anytime. Agree about riding style I think it makes a difference for sure. cheers take care.