View Single Post
Old 04-07-15, 04:49 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Thumbs up Ignition key wiggle solved

i got a new lockset for the bike as the old OEM one was doing my nut it having to wiggle the key to get the bike started and the steering lock would not turn.

so i thought what the hell i might as well have a look at the OEM one to see what's up with it. turns out the key/lock has worn.

solution could be one of two things. 1. get a new key cut slightly oversized. 2. file the pins down.

i opted to file the pins down as it was an experiment and i'm glad to say it worked a treat.

the hardest part of this would be getting the ignition off the yoke as it has security torx bits which are threadlocked in, getting the correct bit goes a long way to dealing with this though.

once the lock is off then its a simple case of undoing the two small screws, lifting the cap off, inserting the key then lifting the barrel out. once the barrel is out you can file the pins that have a high point or just take the file across the whole lot of them like i did (dont take off more than you need to). next is to check that the barrel turns as it should so put the barrel back in with the cap (dont bother with the screws) hold it down then turn the key, if the key turns without any problems then its fixed if not take more off the pins on the barrel and repeat till is all good.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote