View Single Post
Old 21-07-15, 05:41 PM   #491
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
John,
I had a related but very odd one a few years ago, set off as normal on my SV and the front brakes felt soft, pulled over and gave them a squeeze and noted that they came up to pressure, and then the lever just kept slowly moving back to the bar. Had a look over the brakes and noticed fluid leaking out of one of the banjos on the front calipers. The bolt was still tight and hadn't been disturbed in at least 6 months, popped back home, pulled the bolt, replaced the copper washers and tightened it up, and the leak was gone. No obvious failure of the washers (i.e. crack). Still none the wiser on that one!

Jambo
Again odd. I'm usually paranoid about things like brakes and don't take chances. I've swapped out original lines many times and never had a problem like the one you describe.

In my case I had a lot of problems bleeding the air out once I got home. Even with the nipple closed and lot of brake pressure applied I could still get small air bubbles appearing. I started to suspect the nipple was the issue and swapped it with the other nipple on the rear calliper. Problem solved. Neither leaked. Maybe there was some grit or contamination on the sealing face of the nipple. I did inspect it and gave it a good clean but I could see nothing wrong.