View Single Post
Old 05-03-16, 10:31 AM   #6
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Shoulder checks and SV650s position

Thanks for input. In the main scenario yesterday I'd just come around a (fairly sharp) left hand bend so mirrors were not showing what was behind me as car that came alongside was still around corner at that point. Me suddenly slowing and concentrating on the parked HGV meant it came around corner and alongside very soon. I did see it luckily but not the first moment I checked and nearly moved out. Knowing that situations like that are possible took the enjoyment out of every bit of riding the rest of the day and will make it unlikely I'll try and use the SV in the city, but I do need to get about the city from time to time.

To clarify a bit, I know how to do shoulder checks / lifesavers... I was until recently using my upright 125 around town and had no problems. If anything on my training I was told that I shoulder check almost too much. The main issue I'm having now is that I just can't turn my head around enough in the lower riding position to see as much as I could on the more upright bike as my shoulder is in the way being lower down.

Wondering if I do just need to get more of an upright position and do the Top Yoke conversion.

Or does anyone have any secret tips for getting head angled around with shoulder in the way? I did read something that someone suggested looking under your arm instead of over shoulder, but it doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 05-03-16 at 10:32 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote