View Single Post
Old 22-03-16, 03:46 PM   #25
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: Guy Martin vs David Coulthard (Speed F1 Special)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Actually the more I think about it Guy may have done even better on a standard road bike. Given he was running treaded road tyres on a slightly damp track (the F1 car was on wets) then in both the drag and braking test the standard bikes ABS, traction control and anti-wheelie might have been useful. Am I right in thinking a BSB Superbike or Superstock bike isn't allowed these, even if they are on the original road bike?
Rules for Superstock are that the electronics have to be as per the homologated model and can't use non-standard firmware. If that includes a quickshifter, anti-wheelie, traction control, etc. then it's allowed. If it doesn't, it's not. Non-standard quickshifters can be added to the big bikes but not 600s, and any extra goodies like Power Commanders can only be used for fuel mapping, not to add, replace or complement other functions. Rules for Superbike impose a spec ECU.

This can lead to an odd situation where Superstock class machines have more advanced electronics than Superbike or Supersport class machines, but that's how the rules are written.

I thought the whole show was pretty weak, to be honest. I know it was little more than a puff piece for C4's F1 coverage, but an S1000RR is hardly a YZR-M1. It's down on power, has weaker brakes, simpler electronics, and was never going to stand a chance against the RBR on acceleration or braking, let alone lap times, though I was surprised by how well it stopped. It was about as valid a comparison as putting a MotoGP bike up against a hatchback from BTCC, and GM's cheeky-chappy routine has descended into full-blown self-parody.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure Guy wasn't on treaded road tyres. I've just skimmed through the whole thing looking for clear shots of tyres. He was on inters (almost certainly Pirelli Diablo Wets) for the drag race and braking contest, had a slick fitted when Coulthard did the wheel swap, and was on full rain tyres (either Pirelli Diablo Rain or the Metzeler equivalent) for the slalom. When they were wheeling the bike back in after the race it had an inter on the front and when they put it on the stand it had a slick on the back. I'm slightly surprised they were using Pirellis when the bike's plastered with Metzeler stickers, but it's the same company so hey ho.

Even if he was on road-legal treaded tyres, trust me, there's a big difference between a race compound Supercorsa and the rubber you'd want on a road bike. Not that that stops me using up old race tyres on my KTM - they're the same size, after all!
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote