View Single Post
Old 23-01-17, 06:57 PM   #75
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: The all new, slap bang up to date 2017 photo a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
To stop my dad moaning about his new laptop being "carp" or "broken" I headed off to Norfolk over the weekend to show him how to use it. For a change I took the train, especially as I could travel out on Friday after peak times cos I is between contracts. After train/walk/underground/train I am wandering around Norwich station killing half an hour before my last train and amazingly Abelio Greater Anglia still use some first generation Diesel locomotives and carriages for some of their rural routes. There were four English Electric type three jobbies stabled there on Friday (Class 37 in TOPS terminology) which I have up on my Flikr pages. Bear in mind these were built in the early to mid-60's to replace mid size steam locos. Below is the reflection in the windscreen of 37405, as if looking up at the overhead power lines that are (finally) spreading out across more of the country, replacing more and more diesel services. It almost looks sad and you can imagine it thinking wistfully about all the lines it has travelled on since it was built in May 1965...

These wires are replacing me by Trevor Laight, on Flickr
Living in Crewe, I used to see these on a very regular basis. They had a lovely whistling sound to the exhaust & you could hear them from wherever you were in the town. This is a picture off Facebook from a page that I'm on (Not taken by me). It was taken in 1987 before the land was bought for redevelopment. This is where all of the old engines came to die. They were dismantled & sold for scrap.
My house is situated just off this picture to the right. I'm so pleased that the land is now a housing estate
14045631_10207478395785392_1786621394472139293_n by Colin Hughes, on Flickr