View Single Post
Old 16-05-17, 08:14 PM   #8
volvoboy73

Default Re: Very poor running, help!

Hi all, after a busy couple of weeks I managed to spend some time in the garage at the weekend:

Battery voltage: 12.6v
Charging voltage: 14.5v
Spark plugs seem to be the same colour (the rear plug was slightly more oily but not much)

I had a look at the carbs as carb icing had been mentioned but haven't had experience of carb heaters before, I'm guessing this is them?

I checked for a voltage but none was present on either carb (with the ignition on but not with the engine running)

I'm not sure what this is but it had a voltage of 5v present:

Another mystery to me:

Possibly a temperature sensor / thermistor? I couldn't get a resistance reading from it though?

I went through every connector I could find and none looked corroded but I gave them a squirt of contact cleaner and WD40 just in case. I made sure the airbox was fitted correctly on the inlet rubbers and it was well sealed. I did find a ropey solder joint with corroded wires where a replacement regulator / rectifier has been fitted at some point so I replaced it. Took the bike for a ride afterwards and although it behaved for a few miles it started playing up again once I got on the motorway, grrrr! I took it for a thrash around our local roundabout GP circuit and as long as it under hard power it seemed to behave but I can't ride like that everywhere! I am now wondering if it is just one cylinder dropping in and out as it sounds a bit off kilter at tickover so I've ordered some Redex to give that a go. After that I'm thinking of replacing the HT leads / plug caps, is it easy to remove the HT leads from the coils or are they bonded in place? Any ideas / suggestions welcomed!

Last edited by volvoboy73; 16-05-17 at 08:42 PM.