View Single Post
Old 12-09-17, 09:26 AM   #12
korre

Default Re: 2006 SV650 - What immediate work needs doing?

Hi DryRob,

I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of an SV650S. I bought the 2006 with 3000 miles last Saturday and took the mechanic from my DAS provider with me. He gave it a good checking over and said that the chain needs adjusting as it is a bit slack and that he advises fluid changes. Much like you guys, he was of the opinion that none of this was urgent, although maybe the chain was a higher priority. Issue is I am waiting for an Abba stand to come up on eBay near me so I can do this myself.

I took it out for the first time last night, just a 30 minute ride to get used to it and loved it! Currently getting used to the gears as it doesn't like to be in low gear when cruising around. E.g. if I am in gear 3 doing 40mph and release the throttle it will engine brake - I'm learning to release the throttle slower. This is slightly different to the MT-07 I learnt on which didn't mind cruising around in low gears and barely engine braked (not sure that's a real word/term).

Once I winter the bike I will change the oil, oil filter, air filter and coolant myself. Will probably check the sparks to see what condition they're in and also tighten the chain. I will likely pay someone to do the brake fluid as I don't back myself to do this correctly and it's a vital component of the bike!