View Single Post
Old 30-03-18, 07:06 AM   #26
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: London not to include motorcycle in it's traffic congestion strategy

Statistically there was a 5% increase in cyclists being killed on UK roads in 2016, which was 102 deaths. 77% of those were in 30mph areas.
3142 reported serious injuries to cyclists
57% as a attributed of drivers pulling out, crossing the path is sorry mate I didn't see you
43% were attributed to cyclists being at fault, pulling out, not stopping.at junctions etc
Govt figures
Very few of the deaths resulted in the prosecution of the driver, and if they were few resulted in a custodial sentence or lengthy ban.

To put it into perspective cyclists were held responsible for 25 deaths of pedestrians, but that was over 7 years! So about 2 a year, 2 to many.

But following the Charlie Alliston case where he killed a pedestrian the laws relating to causing death by reckless cycling were to be the same as causing death by dangerous driving which is 14 years, but proposed to increase to life imprisonment!

So after ONE case fuelled by the tabloid hatred of cyclists, the government rush through a review of changes to legislation into dangerous cycling, but hasn't completed any review of improving road safety by addressing the biggest cause of road deaths which are vehicle drivers?

Being labelled as a fanatic for wanting changes to improve my safety on the road when I'm cycling leaves a bad taste in my mouth, but if you cycle you'd know about the regular close passes and bad driving we have to live with, whereas we're always seen to be at fault if there's an accident, not the driver.

Last edited by maviczap; 31-03-18 at 08:41 PM.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote