View Single Post
Old 19-05-18, 08:25 AM   #1197
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Yesterday I had a bit of a tinkering session.

I was lazy and used the jetwash (carefully!) to clean the bike at a garage in Welshpool. Just after I started I noticed the Scottoiler feed nozzle and pipe hanging down. Closer inspection showed that the piece of stiff wire cable tied to it to point it the right way was missing and the pipe had been a bit chewed by the chain. I suspect I had caught the pipe with the paddock stand in my garage when I took it off the stand. I cut the damaged piece away, pushed the nozzle back in, and turned the Scottoiler right down.

Got it back in my garage and spliced another piece of feed pipe in, and then did what I should have done years back when I first fitted it, put a thin piece of stiff wire up the inside of the feed pipe. Stuck an extra Scottoiler guide to the bottom of the swingarm, lined up the nozzle and it works a treat now.

Then went to check the chain tension and thought the chain was a bit noisy. Looked at the rear sprocket, perfect condition. Chain is good too, it doesn't lift of the rear sprocket at all. Looked at the front sprocket and it's a bit hooked. Damn! Straight onto Wemoto and ordered a new front sprocket for £12 and a few pence delivered. Normally I would change front and rear sprockets, and the chain together but as the chain and rear sprocket are in such good condition, I'll settle for just the front.

Sprocket should be here tomorrow so further tinkering will take place!
I've wondered about doing a partial change to the sprocket. I had exactly the same on one of my SVs. It'll be interesting to see how long the rear sprocket lasts compared to the front. In my case I replaced both and fitted a new chain as they'd done over 20k