View Single Post
Old 04-06-18, 12:34 PM   #1258
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by proze View Post
I tore the forks down and cleaned everything. I don't have funds for new springs or emulators, so they're just getting new oil. I did fill the rebound holes.

@Bibio - fill the rebound hole, 15w oil, leave the holes at the bottom of the rod alone. Is that correct?

it really depends on what weight you are. no seriously it does. throwing heavy oil in due to an inadequate spring is the worst thing you can do.

dont touch the bottom holes unless your fitting emulators. yes weld the tiny rebound holes up.

with the amount of forks i have fettled over the years by mixing oil viscosity its pretty much come out around the 10w. but thats with 9.0-9.5 springs. do not under any circumstances use 15w oil its farrrrr to heavy. the oil must be silkolene rsf. 1 bottle is enough to do both forks.

i always advocate mixing oil viscosity to get it correct but for most people its a pain. the 7.5w is a great starting point and suits most people but still gives a little "noddy" on the rebound depending on the springs.

when fitting the damper rods make sure that the oil lock is sitting in its recess correctly and the damper rod is sitting in the stanchion correctly by shining a torch down and making sure that the gap is equal all round. i've had to rip forks apart again due to not checking.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote