View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 06:53 PM   #5964
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
When I bought my AL7, the owner and I talked about caring for a parent with dementia, my Dad had been diagnosed with mixed dementia (Alzheimer's and vascular). Peter, the owner, asked if I'd picked out a care home because there would come a time when I would not be able to cope. That time arrived today.

I miss my Dad but the person that I have put into a care home was not my Dad, I lost him to dementia over 3 years ago and I hate what that disease has done to the man that flew P47 Thunderbolts in the war, worked hard and conscientiously all his life and only admitted at the age of 75, that he never really liked his job but he had responsibilities to his family. Life isn't fair but this disease is brutal.

Here's a grainy pic of Dad's P47:

This is my Dad in younger, happier times:

The RAF taught him to fly in South Africa, when he was learning aerobatics, he looped but encountered some rough turbulence and thought he'd screwed up. His instructor laughed - his loop was so accurate he'd flown through his own slipstream which is unusual - the only "boastful" story my Dad ever told me.
My friend is going through the same with his father. Like you he said the man in the home is not the man he remembers and loved. Life is hard.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk