View Single Post
Old 27-07-18, 09:48 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: I wanted a thunderstorm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I lived in San Antonio, Texas for a year and the storms there were impressive - anywhere that has a continental climate rather than a maritime climate (like ours) will work.

When we were house hunting in San Antonio we drove past aluminium roofed houses on which was a strange dimpling, the realtor (estate agent) said: "Oh yeah, that's just hail damage". "Hail the size of base balls tends to damage a lot of things."
They used to sell 'hail damaged vehicles' in Sydney, all the car dealers had 'shade netting' on poles over their cars to stop hail damage (and also sun damage) - I out-ran a hailstorm once on the way home from work in Sydney and just got the lift up garage door open as the first stones hit the door, car was inside garage by the time the real action started, it was common to see vehicles sheltering under bridges in hailstorms, even motorway bridges. In Johannesburg the hailstones could get to or above the size of golfballs and easily smash windows and punch holes in roofs, roofing tiles had a metal plate inside for strength. Sydney hailstones tended to be like large popcorn shapes at times, but would kill birds and strip trees of leaves..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote