View Single Post
Old 04-10-18, 07:42 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Central Heating Boilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
Glenfarg is my water supply which is moderately soft hardness level. besides that if the dissolved solids were correcting the pH to 8-8.5 then i would not get much of a lather when using soap like other hard water areas, but like almost everywhere else in Scotland its well bubbly lather.. there are very very few hard water areas in Scotland.

i know the reason why, but i'll let you work it out. i'll give you a hint though.. this has only happened within the past 10 years which before that it was pretty much bang on a pH of 7

i have never to date heard of anybody having rotted/pinned copper pipes in Scotland due to the water pH.
Here is a engineering bulletin from Scottish NHS - you only have to go as far as section 1 to see warnings of effect of soft water in Scottish Hospitals on copper piping, they recommend stainless or plastic piping is used where possible. More bad news from the paper is that epidemiological studies have found higher incidence of cardio vascular disease is higher in soft water areas than hard (this is further down in the paper).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...fVjHpf_by8_q-l

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-10-18 at 07:45 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote