Old 04-10-18, 11:06 AM   #34
Ruffy

Default Re: K5 Pointy Headlight Connector Burning out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
I think were talking the same but theres something here I dont agree with:
Those thyristors act as crude crowbars to short circuit across the generator, causing voltage drop because of the internal resistance of the alternator. They're on/off devices and connected parallel to the load, so they operate independently of load current
Thyristors/transistors are not on/off devices but variable chokes that are controlled by the regulator depending on system voltage. As you then say the current they let through isnt absorbed by the R/R but generates heat as it passes through the transistors which must be dissipated to avoid damaging them.
A basic thyristor is an on/off device - it can be triggered but will only turn on when it is forward biased, and it will not turn off until voltage across it drops to zero or goes reverse - an igbt thyristor can be turned off by removing gate supply at any time. a device that is in some conductive state other than fully on will dissipate a lot of heat - that is why square wave power supplies are more efficient - the switching device is either fully on or off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glang View Post
Ok the wonderful internet does say that thyristors only switch but transistors can control as an amplifier so surely we have the latter in our R/R?
glang, I just had another thought that may help you: Compare the size of the R/R (which is probably capable of dealing comfortably with up to 150W) to the heatsink on even a small size audio power amp. I think you'll find a much larger heatsink on an equivalent audio amp and this physically shows the extra heat implications of trying to variably control the power flow. Hence why R/Rs use switching techniques, even transistor regulated ones (although it does mean that the alternator coils and wiring have to take the thermal strain - there's nowt for free!)

Last edited by Ruffy; 04-10-18 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Updated
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote