View Single Post
Old 22-12-18, 11:50 AM   #21
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Back on a bike after 16 years.

There's two types of coolant. You need to know which one is in there so you can top up with the same. Only problem is it's quite hard to tell. Colour isn't an indicator either as they make both in different colours to confuse things. So, best option is to drain it and refresh with all new. I did that, along with a flush through with a can of Wynn's to clean the old out. Then flush through with lots of water. Some are happy with a hose pipe in there left running, but water is crazily hard in our area so I just went to Tesco and got a couple of litres of value water at 9p a litre and used that. Then I used ready mixed OAT coolant from Halfords (don't bother with buying concentrated and mixing yourself, the cost is negligible). There's loads of guides online for draining and then filling up again. Involves squeezing pipes etc to burp air out of the system. Fairly simple to do, just takes a bit of time and should be done every couple of years anyway. If you don't know the history of what's in there it should be done.

Have you checked the reservoir on the left of the bike (visible below fuel tank through the frame) for coolant level?
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote