View Single Post
Old 20-01-19, 09:54 AM   #6904
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

I don't think I'm a Luddite although I may not have all the gadgets I can see the use for them. I suppose I'm a borderline conservative (not politically) inasmuch as I believe: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

This preamble brings us to email - it's a functional tool which I've used for years. It should be simple to use without the need to look up how to use it. I have noticed that the major players seem to feel the need to keep modifying it to make it "better".

I didn't like it when gmail started linking incoming emails to an appropriate thread because I seem to get lost inside it and have to check dates/times to see what is going on. I understand I can change this but that brings me back to having to look up how to use it.

More recently, I tried to compose an email using gmail and noticed that the ability to attach a file had disappeared. It hadn't but it is now in stealth mode and isn't visible (wtf!), you have to hover the mouse over where the button used to be and text will appear indicating a function (the correct function if you're in the right location). This is madness. So, back into settings (have you seen how many settings there are in gmail?), if you disable "hover" then the stealthy buttons reveal themselves.

Today, I received notification that my yahoo mail account is going to be switched to the new version which, till now, I've resisted. Can't wait to see what little surprises they will spring on me.

If they want to change something give me the ability to use "strike through" on text for comedic effect, like Windows "Live Mail" had 6 years ago. I actually tried to go back to Live Mail, it was a clean and simple email program but google blocks it and I can't be bothered to look for the fix. Maybe I'm showing the first symptoms of Ludditism after all.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote