View Single Post
Old 17-03-19, 05:00 PM   #7
Othen

Default Piston slap or valves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by isutty5 View Post
Here's a clip I recorded of the sound of cold startup.

https://youtu.be/_FvQY8O7JdU

Proper rattle. But as I say, completely disappears when warm and sounds happy.

I checked the exhaust header and it's perfect so it's not coming from there.

Haven't tried pulling clutch in but will have a go tomorrow, although I feel like I would have noticed as I tend to hold clutch at stops rather frequently.

In the case that it is piston slap, is that something I should be worried about? Should I expect total failure at some point soon?

Valve clearances were never checked on the front, only the rear when new cam chain was put in which was a joke cost of £700 alone!

I don't know, what do you reckon cost would be for clearance check on the front? I'm not in a hurry as I've got the Bandit now but I don't know whether I'm up for spending another £300+ trying to sort it

That is rather noisy. I can’t help thinking the frequency sounds slower that 20Hz, which it would be if it is coming from an engine part at 1200 RPM, in which case perhaps it could be a transmission part (like for example the clutch basket). Try holding the clutch in as it ticks over - if the noise changes it might indicate something in the transmission.
You may be able to narrow down the fault with a stethoscope.
I suspect not many SV owners ever get round to checking their valve clearances (it would be costly to get a garage to do it and most bikes won’t be worth very much by the time they get to 25,000 miles). I could be wrong about that one (but I suspect I’m not).
There is a school of thought that says the risk of causing collateral damage might be greater than the potential gain. Saying that, if you are fairly competent with the spanners it would not be too difficult to check the clearances yourself to see if the followers need shimming - even if you then wanted to outsource the shimming job to a garage or mobile mechanic (that is the more difficult bit - taking the camshafts off and making sure the timing is right afterwards).

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 17-03-19 at 06:14 PM.