View Single Post
Old 27-07-19, 07:28 AM   #64
mister c
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
What a pity, it is a very nice bike, indeed you have made such a nice job of it that you have to fix it properly.

Have you pressure tested the crankcase yet? You are a very competent mechanic, so I’m guessing you know how. It would not take long to rig up some bungs, a pump and a gauge to check out each side with the bike still in the frame. That won’t help fix the issue, but you will know what and where it is. At the very least you will be able to identify whether the issue is with an outer seal or (I suppose much more likely) an inner seal.

I rather assume you changed the outer seals on both cylinders as you were building up the motor, but depending on the results of the pressure test I wonder whether it might be worth changing both again. I don’t know that particular engine, but it looks like it is piston ported (well, no disc valves anyway) so the outer seals will be a really simple (and cheap) job.

Good fortune.

A

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
That could be the spannies causing the fluffiness ... it's a sweeping generalisation but if a stroker starts easily from cold and isn't burning gearbox oil, the crank seals are usually fine. And smaller engines will show the effects of slightly off carburation more than a bigger engine.

It's dead easy to raise / lower the needles in those carbs, have you tried moving the needle clip to see if it improves things?

It's also easy to makes a quick test of whether it's rich or lean at mid-range rpm and medium throttle openings - just give it half choke. If it runs with less fluffiness, raise the needle. It it runs worse, lower the needle.

Good luck, I hope you can sort it without having to do open motor surgery.
I will give both a try & let you know how I get on. I tried upping the jets to compensate for the spannies, but it ran worse. I will try the needles as an easy option 1st. Cheers people
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote