View Single Post
Old 06-01-20, 08:07 AM   #33
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Will an R1 front master cylinder fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter View Post
Might be a little late to the discussion here, but... Properly serviced SV650 brakes are fine, you don't need to change the M/C. I would only advise on that when doing a front end swap.

This is slightly troubling considering the following discussion on how to bleed brakes. What process did you use to bleed the brakes? Additionally have you checked the wear in the pads? Servicing the brakes is fairly straight forward provided you have the right tools and a good manual. But they are you're brakes if you are unsure what you are doing, take it to someone who knows.

Giving the brakes a full strip clean and rebuild with new pads and lines on a bike this age is a good decision particularly if you do not have the service history.

Now I'm not going to tell you how to ride as everyone has their own style, but I've never understood why some people mainly use the rear brake. If you look at it the disc is a single one that is small with a small caliper, compared to the front which has a bigger surface area on each disc, as well as twin discs, and in lots of cases much bigger calipers. I've always considered this a clue as to which brake is intended to be used more...

Properly serviced and maintained SV650 can stoppy, they can even do that two up. Ask me how me and Strechie know.

Check the service manual, and the bikes service history. If it hasn't got a service history there is no harm is doing the valve check and if needed adjustment. As with the brakes its fairly straight forward provided you have the right tools and a good manual. But if you are unsure what you are doing, take it to someone who knows.

Now I'm not going to tell you how to ride as everyone has their own style, but you do know that they rev to 10,500 before the red line, and peak power is around 8,500. It does no harm to rev the engine as it was designed to be used.

No. Do not use copper grease on your brakes. It is not needed. It does nothing. It is not recommended by any manufacturer that I am aware of on a modern brake setup such as the SV650 has.
I copperslip the pins and back of pads and particularly the rear caliper pin which seizes in on the SV. Works great for me.

Edit: Looks like the back of the pads thing is being disproven as an old dad's tale
https://youtu.be/V3MDXUT8RtA

Last edited by Dave20046; 06-01-20 at 08:17 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote